Waite House programs integrate civic engagement with human services to bring about positive change within our core focus areas of Employment and Training, Health and Nutrition, Youth Development, and Basic Needs.
Waite House was established in 1958 in Minneapolis’ Phillips Community and in 2012 moved into a larger space in a former park district building on 11th Avenue and 23rd Street. Each year, more than 4,500 Phillips Community members build social and economic capital via programs administered by 17 diverse staff and 120 volunteers, including 4 AmeriCorps members and students from six local colleges.
As a hub of activity in the Phillips community, we promote community engagement and growth for all individuals from all ages with an active free community café that also trains youth in the culinary arts and an afterschool program focused on college access. Adults are encouraged to take advantage of career training and tax assistance, among other services.
Recognizing that Phillips Community is always changing, Waite House continues to innovate with culturally relevant initiatives that build on peoples’ strengths, enhancing the community’s capacity to care for one another and address injustices that exist in low-income communities of color.